Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Succulent Dish Gardens

A few weeks ago I made a little succulent dish garden for my mom to take to work, and lots of people liked it. Liked it so much, in fact, that she ended up selling it to a coworker who kept begging her for it! How enterprising of her! She came back down to visit and I made her another. It's bigger and prettier than the last one.



She says that both hers and her coworker's are really taking off, that they seem to be thriving under the fluorescent lights.



I love using succulents for little dish gardens. There are so many colors and varieties that they look good in practically any kind of dish. they're also exceptionally forgiving, and don't need a lot of water. I have such fun making them for other people that I never remember to make one for my own desk at work!

5 comments:

walk2write said...

Your little succulent garden looks like a miniature desert. It's lovely! I know it sounds corny, but do you ever put miniature figures in them?

augury said...

Thanks so much for your compliment! I don't think it's corny at all--I think figurines add a lot to these little garden and desertscapes. I absolutely add them! I especially like them in moss terrariums, but I think they are great anywhere. It can add a surprising or completing element to anything. I will post some photos later of figurines I've made or found and how I use them. This reminds me--I've got a bunch of tiny dinosaurs I've been planning to use. Rawr!

Junkstylediva said...

I like succulents too, but they don't seem to stay healthy,after awhile. any suggestions? Inge

Denine said...

These succulent dishes are beautiful. I miss indoor plants - my toddlers yank everything out of them as soon as I finish planting them! Must I wait until their in HS before I enjoy them again? ;)

http://www.weknowstuff.us.com/

Cape Coop said...

I keep checking your etsy page, but you haven't put anything up for a long time.